Elizabeth R. Milner
Award-winning writer and editor with proven track record in writing for non-profits and associations. Translate technical language into clear, logical layman’s terms. Areas of expertise include communications strategies, writing, research and substantive editing.
Administrative Assistant II, Virginia Room (Local History Reference Library)
Fairfax County Public Library — Fairfax, VA
July 2013 – October 2018 / February 2019 – August 2020
Respond to customer and media inquiries.
Plan and present public programs; recruit speakers.
Design and desktop publish program flyers, brochures, slides posters and short videos.
Maintain databases, mailing lists and event calendars.
Provide administrative support to Virginia Room staff; prepare, process and inventory book and supply orders; process invoices, recommend book and supply purchases.
Train library pages.
Assist in maintaining County’s historical collections.
Review, sort and process donations; maintain donation records.
Write thank-you letters and routine correspondence.
Train and assist public in the use of library equipment.
- Researched and created brochure on Jewish genealogy resources in the Virginia Room.
- Presented programs that celebrated folksong collector Cecil Sharp’s pioneering fieldwork in early 20th century Virginia.
- Helped organize a library program on dulcimers and folksongs in Virginia.
- Participate in book talks and genealogy presentations.
Writer-Editor, Commission on Law and Aging
American Bar Association — Washington, DC
October 2017 - February 2019
Edited bimonthly journal focused on Elder Law. Wrote articles, interviewed experts.
Designed and desktop published publications using InDesign and Photoshop software.
Maintained the Commission's Website.
Created promotional and fundraising materials.
Compiled Commission's Board Book
Maintained databases and mailing lists.
OTHER RELEVANT EMPLOYMENT
- Freelance Writer/Editor and Writing Coach — April 2006 – 2017
- Writer/Editor — July 2008 – August 2010
The International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration, Alexandria, VA
- Communications Officer I — 2000-2006
Reston Community Center, Fairfax County, VA
- Public Information Specialist — 1997-1999
Office of Historic Alexandria. Alexandria, VA
Microsoft Office; Windows; Adobe Creative Suite; PowerPoint; Quark Xpress; PageMaker; Microsoft Publisher; Constant Contact; WordPress; Facebook; LinkedIn; Pinterest
- Certificate, Folklore, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA. August 2017
- M.A., Political Science, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- B.A., International Service, American University, Washington, DC
- Social Media marketing classes through Northern Virginia Community College and Fairfax County Continuing Education. Public Relations training at University of Virginia. Training in proofreading and editing at George Washington University's Publication Specialist Program.
ACHIEVEMENTS, HONORS, AWARDS, AND PUBLICATIONS
Edited textbook, Deeper Learning: How Eight Innovative Public Schools Are Transforming Education in the Twenty-First Century (The Planning Guide) by Monica Martinez and Dennis McGrath (New Press, 2014).
Publicity Chair, Folklore Society of Greater Washington (FSGW). Created all publicity for all FSGW events using traditional media and social media including E-mail blasts, Facebook and Twitter posts, and Pinterest pins (2012-2015).
Publicized and helped plan The Capital Maritime Music Fest, a Washington, D.C. folk music event (2013 and 2014)
Substantive Editing, Electric Folk: The Changing Face of English Traditional Music, by Britta Sweers, (Oxford University Press, 2005).
Compiled and edited The Oatlands Celtic Festival Cookbook. (Middleburg, VA: RER Type, 1995).